Parish History

The parish of St. Kevin was founded in 1922, holding its first services in the Cortland Theater. The present church was built in 1925 in response to a growing Catholic population made up of Irish, Italian, German and other European immigrant families. Until the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906, the area known as Bernal Heights was mostly farmland. Soon after the devastation of most of the city, families began to move to the area and build houses despite the lack of paved streets or city services. From the beginning, the parish was ethnically diverse and it has only become more so over the years. Today, in addition to the descendants of those original families, the parish consists of African American, Filipino, Samoan and Hispanic Catholics who add to the cultural richness of the church.

Return to Top of Page

Mission Statement

St. Kevin's Parish is dedicated to creating and developing a strong welcoming community by reaching out to reveal and communicate the love of God to all people. We aim to deepen our spiritual lives with liturgical celebration, fellowship, education and service in a spirit of collaborative leadership between ordained and laity. We strive to emphasize and respect the uniqueness of each person and to continue the mission of Jesus within the environment of our Catholic faith community.

X
Loading